Ellie's Tips to Conquer Envy

Anastasis Faith
I remember going to a camp where literally every girl was stunningly gorgeous. Not only were they beautiful, but they had done their makeup and hair just right, brought their cutest clothes and shoes, and they all had great personalities. Every year this was the week where I was very envious of the girls around me. I felt like I wasn't cute enough, didn't have the right shoes, and in comparison, I felt like I had a bad hair day--everyday.
Envy is a struggle for many--if not most--of us. It's hard to catch, sometimes, because it can be so subtle. Even if it is just a longing glance at a model's great lashes on a magazine cover or just a twinge when your friend beats you on a test, envy is dangerous and we must learn to guard against it.
Today we are so blessed to have another 30 Days of Surrender author, Ellie Youngblood, with us today! One of her articles is Surrender Envy. Today we're going to dive into the topic of envy--one that is very relevant and applicable for us as girls.
Surrender Your Envy
What did you learn while writing for 30 Days of Surrender?

I learned to not be afraid of writing about my personal struggles. I realized there were other girls that desperately needed to hear the truth. It hit me that my fears could keep others from being free. Ultimately, I learned how seriously many people are chained with struggles and how the Holy Spirit can set them free.

You wrote about surrendering envy. What made you pick that topic?

I choose this topic because of a past struggle. I am so grateful to God that He opened my eyes to see how selfish and jealous I had been of a friendship. I was so close to my friend, and then a new girl entered the circle.  I did not want to lose my close bond. Next thing I knew, I was reacting sinfully. Thankfully, the Lord opened my eyes, and I slowly began to surrender the envy I held.

In Surrender Envy, you talked about dealing what seemed like a friend's betrayal. What advice do you have for girls in similar situations?

Yes, I had wanted to be deep and connect the story with what truly seemed like a friend's betrayal. It is maybe one of the deepest wounds I have felt. I wrote in my devotional that, What can feel like desertion and abandonment from a friend can pierce the soul like arrows.” An arrow in a body must be pulled out. Skin must be stitched and then the body must heal. Surrendering yourself—your emotions, thoughts, everything concerning the friend—to Him is the exact same process. In time, He will mend your heart. Love as He loves no matter what.

Aside from the examples in the devotional, what are some other ways that either you personally have struggled with envy or seen others struggle?

Comparison is another area I have struggled with envy. When I see other girls that are achieving more than I am, I have felt the temptation to despise them for their achievements. But I must stop and remember the verse in Psalm 139 that says I am “fearfully and wonderfully made”. Each person is uniquely created by Him! We each have a gift given to us, to glorify Him. He deserves all the glory.

What daily habits would you recommend for avoiding a lifestyle of being controlled by envy?

I would encourage constantly reading the Bible, filling your mind with its truth, and memorizing it. When our eyes are fixed on truth—on Christ—it will be that much harder to be distracted by the flesh. Direct your focus to the Maker when you feel the sting of envy. The root of envy is discontentment in your soul. Your ultimate satisfaction needs to be firmly in Him. He alone can fully satisfy. Delight yourself in Him as Psalms says.

If you could break down overcoming envy into three steps, what would they be?

1. Surrender.

Surrendering involves being truthful about everything to Jesus.  Though He knows everything, the simple action is life changing. Admitting you are wrong is a huge part of the freeing process. Verbally say you want to change. Surrender.

2. Find your satisfaction in Him alone.

Only He can fulfill your every desires and dreams. No human is perfect, and as a result, your joy needs to come from Him, who is Perfect. Read about His character and memorize His Truth.

3. Pray.

No matter what. This is another one of those simple actions that can be absolutely life-changing. Pray for the relationship. Pray, pray, pray. Pray daily, no matter what emotion rises within you.



Ellie Youngblood is a Texas girl who loves the Lord, her Savior. When she is not pursing her degree in chemistry, her adventures lead her to faraway lands in fictional books, jamming out with music, or living out her dream as an archer. She also has a deep passion for writing, whether it be devotionals filled with God’s truth or creative writing. She currently resides in east Texas. Find out more at her blog, Broken and Beloved.
If you liked this interview with Ellie, you will love our new ebook, 30 Days of Surrender. You can purchase it here.


Can you think of a time recently when you struggled with envy? Any tips for those who struggle? Share in the comments!

Anastasis Faith / Author & Editor

Anastasis is a Texas girl who enjoys writing, blogging, and music. You can connect with her here on her blog, or at morningglorypursuingjesus@yahoo.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I read every one of them.

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Template Designed By Templateism | Templatelib