Spreading Holiday Joy: A Letter from a Stranger

Anastasis Faith


      My friend received a letter from a stranger last week.
      She was telling me about this girl she passed frequently in the parking lot at our local community college. She said that every time she saw her, she gave her a friendly smile and wave, which the girl returned.
      Last week, the girl came up to her, said hi, and handed her a piece of paper. “I have something for you.”
      My friend showed me the letter and it blew me away.


Dear Sweet Stranger,

      You must know, throughout this semester you have been the best part of my day. Life has its HARD seasons, and the last year and a half has been nothing resembling easy for me. I’ve been making it through, day by day, but little brings me lasting joy, and it’s difficult to look forward to the future. Fortunately, I know this won’t last, so I patiently wait for the next season of growth.
      So why do I write you, you wonder? To thank you. Your smile brightened my day, lifted my spirit, and gave me a glimmer of joy that lasted longer than anything else in a long while. I found myself looking forward to crossing paths with you between classes, just so I could encounter your smile that is so warm and genuine.
       Very few people make eye contact, smile, and greet others they pass. We so easily get caught up in our world, and forget to notice, and acknowledge, others. I applaud you for setting a wonderful example of the power of connecting with and “seeing” others. It is contagious and impacts people more than you know! Keep on keepin’ on, you’re going a fantastic job.
      Love,
      A Grateful Passerby

      This is an honest, true letter my friend received last week from a stranger.
      Reading it again made me want to cry.
      My friend understands this Christmas season far better than most. We get wrapped up in our own little worlds and forget to acknowledge others. Aren’t we so thankful Christ isn’t like that? He was thinking about us when He humbled Himself to the form of a human baby, walking on this broken earth, and died for us.
      But my friend took the time simply to smile at a random stranger. This stranger was a person with deep pain and who was struggling. To think that a smile could be someone’s only hope in life right now!
      During this holiday season, I ask you, will it be your smile that gives joy and hope? Or will you leave the job to my one friend?
      Our smiles give hope because we are alive in Christ. This stranger saw Christ in my friend, and Christ gave her hope.
      Remember people this Christmas season. Remember the pain of those around you.
      Remember that your sins are forgiven, and you are free. Remember that Christ’s joy belongs to you.
      Spread it to the world!

THE COMMENT SECTION IS FIXED!!! *happy dance!* 
Share any thoughts you have about this post below!

Anastasis Faith / Author & Editor

Anastasis is a Texas girl who enjoys writing, blogging, and music. You can connect with her here on her blog, or at morningglorypursuingjesus@yahoo.com

4 comments:

  1. Comment section is working again! Thanks to a friend who's far more tech-y than me. ;) Y'all can comment again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really inspired me to notice and consciously make an effort to smile and be kind to everyone, even if I don't know the person. It's so true that we don't know what people are going through, and it's worth taking the time to smile and wave; we could be a blessing to someone just through that quick smile. Since we all rub shoulders with so many people, we have many opportunities to touch their lives and point them to Jesus through our actions. It's quite a responsibility when I think about it!

    Thanks for sharing this letter with us, Anna! I find your posts really helpful. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! It was very inspiring to me as well!

      Yes, it's an incredible responsibility to spread the love of Jesus to everyone we pass--AND an incredible opportunity! It's amazing what just a smile can do, and how much hope it can offer someone.

      Thanks for commenting! I appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! That is so inspiring!!! Thank you so much for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I read every one of them.

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Template Designed By Templateism | Templatelib