10 Tips for Reducing Stress: Part 1

Anastasis Faith
I wear my stress.
Literally.
Whenever I get stressed, I break out in painful, itchy eczema all over my legs. And I break out in cystic acne.
I hate being stressed.
I have always been a decently high-strung person. Each day I have my own agenda and when someone overturns it, or I am not able to accomplish everything I need to, or something happens that I'm not ready for, I responded with stress.
I called it stress, but there is a better name for it.
Anxiety.
It took me a long time to realize that stress was really a new label for anxiety. The root issue is a lack of trust in God, a lack of dependence on God, and a disbelief in His character. We are given stressors, but then we respond with anxiety.
At some point, I hit a wall. I was done with stress. I hated living a high speed life. I hated the pressure to perform. I hated not being able to rest.
And I was exhausted.
This has led to a number of habit changes in my life. I cleaned out my closet, I rearranged my desk to allow for less junk and more studying. I simplified my room so I would have less stuff and put things in better, more accessible places. I decided to fight laziness in the moment. Don't throw the clothes on the floor, put them in the basket.
One of my goals for 2018 is to work harder and play harder. I want to intentionally rest and refuel more.
Most importantly, I want to intentionally seek out Christ and build my life around Him, instead of trying to fit Him in around my life.
So here are some of the things I have found helpful to reduce some of the outer stressors as well as calm down the inner anxiety.
10 Tips for Reducing Stress
 

10. Be ready to leave, early

Few things are more stressful than being late! So get ready long before you have to leave so you can just grab your purse/backpack/whatever and go. If you pack a lunch, maybe you pack it the night before. Set out your clothes. Set your alarm earlier. Whatever you need to do, putting aside a habit of being late will serve you well.


9. Plan better

Planners are not just for moms! They are for you and me! Take fifteen minutes each day to plan how you want the day to look. It will help you be more focused and more efficient.
Sometimes at work I will put a sticky note on my computer with my current task. This helps me when I get distracted to stay on track. Plan ways to minimize distractions and plan ways to overcome those distractions.
You'll save more time at the grocery store if you have a list and you will forget less.
Write things down, cross them off, and reward yourself when things are completed.
If you live at home--which I know most of you do--then make sure your list is manageable with your family's schedule. If you are creating things to do that are impossible to get done, then that will only stress you out more. So don't necessary plan more, plan better. Plan with distractions, interruptions, and the unplanned in mind.

8.  Clean your work area and room

The messier my room is, the more cramped, tense, and overwhelmed I feel. It’s another thing on that mental To-Do list and it’s not something that I can escape. Even if it takes a couple hours, it’s totally worth it to have a clean room. It makes me feel like I’ve got everything under control. It also motivates me to get other things done.
This also deals with laziness. Fight laziness each moment. If you fight it in the small moments, it will be easier to overcome bigger temptations to be lazy. Do not make laziness your lifestyle.



7.  Make a To-Do list and prioritize it

You’ve got a billion things to do zooming around your head. It’s hard to process. But when it’s down on paper, you’ll be surprised at how short it actually is compared to how long you thought it was.
After I get everything I have to do down on paper, I can prioritize them in order of what needs to get done today and what I would like to get done today. Then I always know exactly what I’m supposed to be doing when I’m supposed to be doing it.
This helps particularly when you are at home and you do not know what things might pop up that day. I've also heard of having a "slush" day where you pick up the slack from the rest of the week. Maybe you write tasks down for Monday through Thursday, but then leave Friday open so that anything that didn't get done earlier can be done that day.


6. Don’t worry yourself to sleep.

Once you’re in bed, you can’t do anything about it, especially not by worrying. As soon as the lights go out, stop thinking about what you have to do. Worrying late at night will rob you of sleep, which will probably result in a more exhausting and stressful next day! 
This also applies to when you’re in the car, on the elevator, etc. Basically, whenever you can’t do anything about it, don’t worry about it. 
Live in such a way that does not require you to stress while in bed. But more importantly, trust in a God who is bigger than your to-do list and bigger than your problems.
When we have a small view of God, we have big problems. When we have a big view of God, then we don't have problems--only opportunities to worship and glorify Him.


Next week we will cover the top five ways to reduce stress!


What do you think? Are you a super stressed person? Or are you pretty chill? How do you relieve stress? Which ways listed above seem the most helpful? Share in the comments!

Anastasis Faith / Author & Editor

Anastasis is a Texas girl who enjoys writing, blogging, and music. You can connect with her here on her blog, or at morningglorypursuingjesus@yahoo.com

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with #8! Whenever i'm stressed I just go into "stress clean" mode. I just run around the room speak it cleaning, even if I have family or friends in there. It actually pretty funny;) But I found that when it's all clean I can stil down, relax and think about what I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is great advice! I find making a list super helpful, especially if I estimate how long everything will take. I often find that I put 10 hours worth of work on one mornings to-do-list! I don't like taking things off and pushing them to tomorrow, but that is sooo much better than feeling like I didn't accomplish everything I should have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a HUUUGE issue: unrealistic expectations. That's one reason why I've found it helpful to make one long list, then sort it into days. If I just keep the one long list, then I don't feel as accomplished because, at the end of each day, there's still so much to do. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. This is a really helpful article! I definitely struggle with stress, especially over school and deadlines.

    I think tip #6 is especially important for me to apply because I often worry about assignments at night, when really I should simply pray for peace and know that I can't do anything about it until the next day. Also, the idea of spending 15 minutes a day planning out what assignments or projects I need to finish as well as personal things I would like to accomplish is a really great idea.

    I need to get a planner for next school year. Do you have any recommendations?

    Abigail B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to break a habit of constantly worrying, but I've found that it doesn't help anything--it often makes everything worse!

      As for planners, I don't have a particular brand I like (yet), but I prefer spiral bound with white backgrounds. Lots of patterns make it hard to see what you've written. :)

      Delete

Leave a comment! I read every one of them.

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Template Designed By Templateism | Templatelib