10 Tips for Beating a Crush: Your Need for Christ

Anastasis Faith
The subject of crushes is so extensive and it’s impossible to cover in one blog series about all the different situations that could arise. These are a few suggestions and tips that I have found helpful—and I’m sure there are many more things you could do to beat a crush than these ten tips that I have listed!
Of course, there are times and places for crushes. I absolutely hope that you have a crush on your future husband! But for teen girls in a world that is assaulting us with the notion that we need a guy to be happy—we’ve got to remember that we don’t need crushes. We don’t need guys. We need God. As soon as we realize that, we can make a huge impact on the culture around us. 
One thing that I’ve learned is that, even if your crush is super godly, your relationship with Jesus must ALWAYS come first. Your relationship with Jesus doesn’t go on hold while you run after this guy and then resume once you’re dating, or married.
Right now, for many of us, we’re in a season of waiting. Waiting to meet someone, waiting to fall in love, waiting for him to fall in love with you, waiting for him to ask…etc. And I know that waiting is hard. But just because something is good and you want it doesn’t mean it’s God’s time for it yet in your life right now—or ever. We must rest in the fact that God desires to do us good and that He desires to give us what we want. However, we must first delight ourselves in the Lord and then we can enjoy His gifts to their fullest extent.
Our natural desire is to one day be married and raise a family of our own. But sometimes it can feel like God doesn’t want us to have the biggest desire of our heart. However, that is a lie that Satan will try to make you believe. God loves to do good to you.
Here are a couple verses that prove this point:

Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!”
Psalm 37:4-7
(emphasis added)

“What the wicked fears will come upon him,
But the desire of the righteous will be granted.”
Proverbs 10:24

"The Lord God is a sun and a shield; no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly. O Lord of Hosts, blessed is the man that trusts in You."
Psalm 84:11-12
(emphasis added)

 “ But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
Matthew 6:33

“For I know the plans that I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.”
Jeremiah 29:11-13
(emphasis added)

What stood out to me in Jeremiah 29:11-13 was the last promise:
"You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart."
Sometimes it can seem like pursuing Jesus is like running after your family's car when they've left you somewhere and don't notice. It can feel impossible.
But here is a promise from the lips of God Himself—that He will be found. He's not going to hide Himself from us if we truly desire to see Him. If we seek Him with our whole hearts He promises to be found.
Tell me, sisters, is this not a beautiful promise? It’s so easy to get overwhelmed and it can feel like God is so far away. But something about this promise that God would make Himself known to me if I ran after Him has given me so much strength so many times.

We can pray for God to take away the feelings, but sometimes the answer to that is no. However, there is another prayer we can pray, that if God won't take away the feelings, He will take away the distractions.
Even though my heart wanders so much from God, I can truly say that I want nothing more than to pursue Jesus with my whole heart. Through His grace, He always draws me back. He patiently teaches me again and again that He is all I need.
It's hard, when you have a crush, to believe that God is all you need. But He really is, and sometimes, I just had to trust that God is enough. I've just had to believe that He is the only thing that will fulfill me and act on that knowledge against what I felt.
Remember, even though we wander and even though we run, God will always still be there with open arms. He is faithful, steadfast, unchanging. These are promises that I cling to every day.

"If we are faithless, He remains faithful— for He cannot deny himself."
2 Timothy 2:13

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
1 John 1:9

“Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.”
Proverbs 4:23

"And all the people said to Samuel, 'Pray for your servants to the LORD your God, that we may not die, for we have added to all our sins this evil, to ask for ourselves a king.' And Samuel said to the people, 'Do not be afraid; you have done all this evil. Yet do not turn aside from following the LORD but serve the LORD with all your heart. And do not turn aside after empty things that cannot profit or deliver, for they are empty. For the LORD will not forsake His people, for His great name's sake, because it has pleased the LORD to make you a people for Himself. Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. Only fear the LORD and serve Him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things He has done for you. But if you still do wickedly, you shall be swept away, both you and your king."
1 Samuel 12:19-25
(emphasis added)

What thoughts or stories do you have? Share in the comments!

Anastasis Faith / Author & Editor

Anastasis is a Texas girl who enjoys writing, blogging, and music. You can connect with her here on her blog, or at morningglorypursuingjesus@yahoo.com

6 comments:

  1. Anna,

    Thank you so much for posting this series. I want you to know that it has truly blessed me. :) Your tips helped pinpoint problems I need to work on in my life, some of which I didn't even know existed. Thanks again for putting your time, thoughts, effort, and prayers into this. May our Father bless you, as I pray that He does. :)

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace! Thank you so much for your sweet words! I'm so glad that it has helped! I, too, have many things I need to work on in my own life and writing this series has definitely been a helpful experience!

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for writing this, Anna! All the tips and tricks you have shared have been very helpful to me, but this post especially has blessed me. It is so easy to forget Christ in the mix of everything, but without Him, everything is nothing.

    Praying for you!

    - Savannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that! Thank you so much for letting me know!

      It's very easy to try to treat the symptoms of a problem without addressing the root. :) But Christ is our true fulfillment--like you said, without Him, everything is nothing.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Does your site have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to shoot
    you an e-mail. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
    Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! It's up at the top to the left. :) On the mobile version, you'll have to hit the three lines in the corner to see the tabs.

      Looking forward to the email!

      Delete

Leave a comment! I read every one of them.

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Template Designed By Templateism | Templatelib