3 Lessons I Learned Being Single

Anastasis Faith
By Julia Schoeffler

          I think we can all admit we’ve all dreamed of the day where we find out who our “prince” is. And we dream of the day we are swept off our feet to go live “happily ever after”  in a castle where it never rains and is always sunny. 
         
          Okay, maybe we weren’t that unrealistic but we have all thought about who we were going to marry and of the day we’ve meet him, right? 
          I certainly have, and it seems like everywhere I look I see it around me, boyfriends and girlfriends and couples. And while dating is not a bad thing, if you are the appropriate age, our culture tends to stress its importance unnecessarily. While being single, I have learned quite a lot. A lot about myself and most importantly a lot about my relationship with God.  So I’d thought I’d share a few things I’ve learned! 

1. I’ve learned to be Content.

          This is perhaps the most important lesson I have learned. I have learned how to be at peace with where I am and where God has me right now. I’m not going to lie, it's not always been easy, but whenever I'm feeling discontent in being single, I've learned to ask God to give me a content heart. In fact, In 1 Peter 5:7 Scripture reminds us to “Cast all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you.” (ESV).   
          It is something I would recommend, if you're finding yourself tired of  being single to not forget to ask God for a content heart, because once we become content with our life we are able to direct our focus back to God. Once we do that we are able to live life to glorify Him instead of focus on ourselves.

2. I’ve learned that being single is not the worst thing in the world.

          Contrary to our popular belief, being single isn't the worst thing ever. In fact, it actually can be rewarding! And if you look at it as a blessing it will show its benefits time and time again. Even though you might be single,  God promises He will never leave you.  
          In Isaiah, God reminds us to, “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10). So next time you are feeling lonely I hope you will be comforted in knowing that God is always with you. 

3. I’ve learned not to find my worth in a boyfriend.

          It is a really easy mindset to slip into. It’s easy to think once you have a  boyfriend that your insecurity will no longer be a problem. However, a boyfriend will not make your life easier, better, or even make you more confident about yourself. Worth found in a boyfriend will always fade away.  
           The only way you can you can find your worth is looking to the One who paid for it with His life for you. He loved you and He died for you. The cross is the only thing that will be able to heal your brokenness, insecurities, and sins. 
          Romans 5:8 says, “…But God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Christ died for you and that is what we all should find our worth and identity in! The God of the universe loved you enough to die for you! Make sure to direct your focus on the Gospel’s message next time you are feeling down on yourself. Once you find your worth in Christ you will be able to stop searching for it in other things and people.
          I know it’s not easy, but God promises us to reveal Himself to those who seek Him. Deuteronomy 4:29 says “But from there you will seek the LORD your God and you will find him, if you search after Him with all your heart and with all your soul.” So continue to seek Him above all things. 

          So those are a few of the many lessons I have learned in this season of singleness. I hope to provide you all with the encouragement and remind you of an everlasting joy found only in Christ, not in a significant other. I hope you will realize to stop living a life of “waiting” for a boyfriend and learn to start living a life full of joy found only in the knowledge of knowing Jesus Christ as your Savior.

Julia Schoeffler is a senior in high school who lives in Blairsville, Georgia. Her Hobbies include reading, writing, baking, running, and playing the piano. Julia is duel enrolled at Young Harris College for the last two years. She plans on attending NGU in the fall of 2017. In everything she does, she strives to give all glory to her Savior Jesus Christ. You can check out her own personal blog here: https://feetthatfollow.wordpress.com
  
For more posts on this topic, check out 5 Reasons I Don't Flirt, Part 1 and Part 2, and Why I Decided to Save My First Kiss for My Wedding Day.

What lessons have you learned being single? Which of these resonates the most with you? Share in the comments!

Anastasis Faith / Author & Editor

Anastasis is a Texas girl who enjoys writing, blogging, and music. You can connect with her here on her blog, or at morningglorypursuingjesus@yahoo.com

1 comments:

Leave a comment! I read every one of them.

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Template Designed By Templateism | Templatelib