How to Win at New Years Resolutions

Anastasis Faith
What a year 2017 has been for Morning Glory! The biggest milestone was definitely publishing 30 Days of Surrender. I encourage you to sit down and think about all that has happened and remember God's faithfulness through it all. For many of us, 2017 has been a great year; for many of us, 2017 has been a devastating year. Whatever it held for you, I can say for certain that God is good and God is faithful.

As we look toward 2018, many of us are making New Year's Resolutions. I usually make them, but I would write them in my journal only to forget about them. 

How have New Year’s Resolutions gone for you in the past? I went through one of my old journals to find these resolutions from when I was fourteen.


1. Finish the Bible

2. Learn to forgive more freely

3. Become best friends with my sister

4. Grow in my relationship with Mom, Dad, and God

5. Keep my room clean for two months


      These are both awesome and terrible resolutions. Why? The heart behind them was good. But at the same time, I made goals for myself that were in many ways immeasurable. I don’t know which ones I considered conquered at the end of the year because I didn’t look back at this list one time since when I made it.
      Let's look at some tips on how to make good resolutions AND go through with them. How about we rework these goals?

1. Finish the Bible

I will do this by buying a Daily Bible and reading it in one year. Every morning, first thing, I will read my Bible. If I miss the morning, I will read at night before bed or at my lunch break.

2. Learn to forgive more freely

Find three verses on forgiveness and memorize them. Remember these truths about forgiveness: 1) You cannot meditate on what you’ve forgiven, and 2) You cannot share with others the things you have forgiven. This will be measured by a lack of bitterness in my heart against people.

3. Set aside an hour once a week to focus completely on my sister

I’ll put my phone and laptop away. If we have to schedule a regular time, then we’ll do that.

4. Make sure to read my Bible every day and have a conversation with both Mom and Dad that doesn’t involve me asking for something. 

5. Every night before I go to bed, I will clean my room.

      You see how much more achievable and measurable these goals are? Now, these goals are not perfect, but they’re far better than the first set.
      Consider the goal, “Lose weight.” That’s one of the most common New Year Resolutions every year in America. What’s a better way to phrase that goal? How about, “Lose five pounds by May.”
      What’s the key here? Your goals need to focus on two things:

Being achievable

Being measurable

      And then write them down in a place where you will see them often. Don’t forget about them—that defeats the purpose of making them. Ask for accountability too!


What is a better way to phrase the goal, “Live a healthier lifestyle”? What about, “Save more, spend less”?
What are some of your New Year’s resolutions? Want accountability? Share them in the comments!

Anastasis Faith / Author & Editor

Anastasis is a Texas girl who enjoys writing, blogging, and music. You can connect with her here on her blog, or at morningglorypursuingjesus@yahoo.com

1 comments:

Leave a comment! I read every one of them.

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Template Designed By Templateism | Templatelib